‘You never know when the last moment will come’: Walmart shooting victim’s mother thankful her son survived

CHESAPEAKE, Va. (WRIC) — The mother of one of the survivors of the mass shooting pictures inside Walmart Chesapeake says that she is grateful that her son is alive.

Kimberly Shupe said her 24-year-old son, Jalon Jones, had worked at the Chesapeake Walmart for about a year before he was shot and killed along with a dozen others inside the store Tuesday night.

Shupe said her son told her it was a typical work day — a group of employees gathered in the break room for their daily meeting — when co-workers began to realize something was up.

“Then he noticed that his manager looked completely different, he just didn’t understand what was going on,” Shupe said. “Everybody thought it was just a [bad] mood or something.”

Suddenly, Shupe said her son told her circumstances changed, “he went from looking like that to actually seeing a gun.”

Chaos ensued and Jones was hit in the ear by a bullet.

“He thought he was going to die,” Schupe described.

She said her son immediately started trying to get to safety, even having to jump over other people to get out.

“He saw people on the ground and said he had to jump over them to save himself,” his mother described.

Shupe said her son walked to the front of the store only to be shot a second time, this time in the back, moments away from the horrific attack. His mother said a colleague helped him escape to the street, where they hid in a car until paramedics arrived.

“I’m just thankful he survived,” Shupe said.

Jones was admitted to hospital last night, where he was put on a ventilator. His mother said he is now in stable condition and talking, but cannot walk and is bedridden. While Jones is fighting his own physical battles, his mother says he’s also dealing with the emotional impact of such a traumatic event and seeing his co-workers down by his side.

“Yes, there is an injury. He really deals with it almost as much as he deals with injuries. The trauma of people hurt and injured that he may never see again.’

For the rest of the day, Shupe is at the hospital with her son. Her parents were visiting and she said the whole family would be spending Thanksgiving together at the hospital.

“The people you love in your life just make sure you always let them know you love them. You never know when they’re going to walk out the door or if you’ll ever see them again,” Shupe said. “You never know when the last moment will come.”

The alleged shooter was identified by the company as store employee Andre Bing, 31, of Chesapeake. Bing was confirmed to be an overnight team leader at the store, and a Walmart spokesperson said he has been with the company for more than a decade, since 2010. Police confirmed he died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He was armed with one handgun and police said he was carrying several magazines.

Source link

USA News