RICHMAND, Virginia (WRIC) – While the University of Virginia basketball teams Commonwealth of Reims and Richmond Spiders will meet tonight in the final season of Capital City Classic, they are also joining forces to help William Fox Elementary School, which burned Friday, February 11th.
Fans who are going to play at the Siegel Center are invited to bring school supplies to help replace what was lost during the fire, including:
- New and carefully used textbooks for level K – 5th grade (There is a special need for books with different characters and experiences. Fox Elementary is a school for most minorities.)
- Clorox Hand Wipes and Disinfectants (Unopened)
- Crayola chalk or colored pencils
- Packages are washable markers
- Composition or spiral notebooks
- Index cards
- Markers for dry erasing
- # 2 Pencils
- Pocket folders
- Paper with wide rulers
- Boxes with fabrics
- Black, blue or red ink pens
- Reusable water bottles
- Glue sticks
Stocks will be collected before, during and after the game. They can also be left in the lobby of the Siegel Center or at the Robins Center ticket office on the U of R for the next two weeks.
None of the teams will be able to accept cash contributions, but anyone who wishes to do so can make a donation through the Richmond Public Schools Education Foundation.
Today’s game between VCU and U of R will start today at 19:00 and will be broadcast on the national channel ESPN2.