Federal authorities 47 people were accused in Minnesota on conspiracy and other counts Tuesday in what they said was a massive scheme that took advantage of pandemic to steal $250 million from a federal program that provides food to low-income children.
U.S. Attorney Andrew Luger called it “the largest pandemic fraud in the United States.”.
Luger said the defendants are charged with federal crimes including “conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering and paying and receiving illegal kickbacks,” according to the station.
Luger said the defendants took $250 million from the federal child nutrition program that was supposed to be used to “feed underprivileged children.” Instead, Luger argues, the defendants “predominantly put the money in their own pockets.”
Prosecutors allege that the defendants created companies that claimed to provide meals to tens of thousands of children across Minnesota and then claimed reimbursement for those meals through USDA nutrition programs. Prosecutors say the dinners were actually few and far between, and the defendants used the money to buy luxury cars, property and jewelry.
Many of the companies that claimed to be serving the food were sponsors of a nonprofit called Feeding Our Future, which filed the companies’ claims for compensation. Feeding Our Future founder and executive director Aimee Bock was among those charged, and authorities say she and other members of her organization submitted false reimbursement claims and received kickbacks.
Bock’s lawyer, Kenneth Udoibock, said he would not comment until he had a chance to review the indictment, but that the indictment “does not indicate guilt or innocence.”
In an interview earlier this year, Bock denied stealing the money and said she never saw evidence of fraud.
The defendants face multiple charges, including conspiracy, wire fraud, money laundering and bribery.
Earlier this year, the US Department of Justice made prosecuting fraud related to the pandemic a priority. The department has already launched enforcement actions related to more than $8 billion in suspected pandemic fraud, including indictments in more than 1,000 criminal cases with losses exceeding $1.1 billion.
According to court documents, the alleged scheme targeted the USDA’s federal child nutrition programs, which provide food to low-income children and adults. In Minnesota, the funds are administered by the state Department of Education, and the meals have historically been provided to children through educational programs such as schools or child care centers.
Sites that serve food are sponsored by community or non-profit groups such as Feeding Our Future. The sponsoring agency retains 10% to 15% of reimbursed funds as an administrative fee in exchange for filing claims, sponsoring sites, and disbursing funds.
But during the pandemic, some of the standard requirements for sites to participate in federal nutrition programs have been waived. Among them, the USDA allowed for-profit restaurants to participate and permitted the distribution of food outside of educational programs. The charging documents say the defendants used changes in the program’s requirements “for enrichment.”
The documents say Bock oversaw the scheme and that she and Feeding Our Future sponsored the opening of nearly 200 federal child nutrition program sites across the state, knowing the sites intended to submit false claims. “The sites fraudulently claimed to be serving thousands of children a day within days or weeks of being set up, and despite having few, if any, staff and little experience serving that many meals,” — the indictment says.
Feeding Our Future received nearly $18 million in federal Child Nutrition Program administrative fees in 2021 alone, and Bock and other employees received additional kickbacks, often disguised as “consulting fees” paid to shell companies, according to charging documents .
According to an FBI affidavit released earlier this year, Feeding Our Future received $307,000 in reimbursements from the USDA in 2018, $3.45 million in 2019 and $42.7 million in 2020. The compensation amount jumps to $197.9 million in 2021.
Court documents say the Minnesota Department of Education is growing concerned about the rapid increase in the number of Feeding Our Future-sponsored sites, as well as the increase in reimbursements.
The department began scrutinizing applications for the Feeding Our Future website and rejected dozens of them. Bok responded by suing the department in November 2020, alleging discrimination, saying most of its sites are in immigrant communities. That case has since been dropped.