Elon Musk refuses to provide the New York Times with links to sites known to publish fake news

Washington, October 31: Elon Musk, who bought Twitter on Sunday (local time), rebutted the New York Times (NYT) with links to sites known to publish fake news. “This is fake – I *didn’t* link to The New York Times!” Musk tweeted.

Musk’s tweet, which has since been deleted, published an article with baseless accusations of attacking the husband of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, according to the NYT. The tweet raised new questions about how and when Musk will act to combat misinformation and hate speech on social media. Will the Vine app make a comeback? Elon Musk’s latest tweet on the once-popular app is getting attention on Twitter.

On Saturday, Hillary Clinton, the former first lady and 2016 Democratic presidential candidate, posted a tweet criticizing Republicans for spreading “hate and crazy conspiracy theories” that she said emboldened the man who attacked her husband Pelosi, Paula, at the couple’s home in San. Francisco on Friday morning, according to the NYT.

In response to Clinton’s tweet, Musk wrote, “There’s a small possibility there may be more to this story than meets the eye,” and then shared a link to an article in the Santa Monica Observer. The article claims that Pelosi was drunk and had an argument with a prostitute.

Musk’s tweet was later deleted, and it was not immediately clear who deleted it, according to the NYT. Musk’s tweet came after he promised in an open letter to advertisers that Twitter would not become a free-flowing site that allows completely unfettered comments.

“Twitter obviously cannot become a free-for-all hellscape where you can say anything without consequence,” he wrote. “Twitter aims to become the most respected advertising platform in the world.”

A 2021 editorial in The Los Angeles Times about websites “impersonating legitimate local newspapers” noted that the Santa Monica Observer, “owned by former City Council candidate David Ganezer, is notorious for publishing fake news.” Sam Bankman-Fried could get up to $100 million from Elon Musk’s purchase of Twitter.

For example, in 2016, the publication claimed that Clinton had died and that a doppelganger had been sent to a debate with Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump.

Police said Pelosi, 82, was attacked with a hammer in her home by a man named David DePape who entered through a back door. Police said when they arrived at the home, they found two men struggling for control of a hammer, the NYT reported.

Authorities said DePape, 42, is likely to face multiple charges, including attempted murder and assault with a deadly weapon. At one point, DePape is said to have yelled, “Where’s Nancy? Where’s Nancy?”

Musk’s $44 billion purchase of Twitter was completed on Thursday, the same day he fired several of the company’s top leaders, including Chief Executive Officer Parag Agrawal.

Ahead of the possibility of sweeping changes to the platform, such as the reinstatement of Trump’s account, which was banned from the site after the Jan. 6 uprising at the US Capitol, Musk said he would create a content moderation board. “No major decisions regarding content or account recovery will occur until this board meets,” he wrote.

(This is an unedited and auto-generated story from a syndicated news feed, LatestLY staff may not have changed or edited the main content)

Source link

Tech